Arise, shine, O Zion, for thy light is come (Aaron Williams)
- (Posted 2020-04-11) CPDL #57940:
- Editor: Christopher Shaw (submitted 2020-04-11). Score information: A4, 14 pages, 164 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Please click on the link for preview/playback/PDF download.Edition prepared from "Royal Harmony".
- (Posted 2012-03-24) CPDL #25106:
- Editor: Rod Mather (submitted 2011-12-07). Score information: A4, 15 pages, 21 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: The source document appears to have both harmonic and engraving errors. This edition has sought to rectify some of the perceived errors. The errors are also published as annotations so that the performer may choose to determine their own correction.
First published: c.1765
Description: "Anthem proper for Christmas Day" from Royal Harmony, London, c.1765. The original source (which appears considerably more error free than that used for CPDL #25106) does not prescribe accompaniment; the piece is unfigured, and is described as for "country choirs" (i.e. predominantly organless). Reductions (both editions) are editorial and should be used for practice purposes only.
Original text and translations
Arise, shine, O Zion, for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.
And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
Sing O heavens and be joyful, for behold I bring you glad tidings of great joy
which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour who is Christ the Lord.
Glory be to God on high, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given
and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God,
The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.