As Vesta was from Latmos hill descending (Thomas Weelkes)
- Editor: Maia McCormick (submitted 2019-12-22). Score information: Letter, 9 pages, 124 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Four flats (down a whole step) to make tessitura of soprano and tenor parts more comfortable.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-12-23). Score information: A4, 11 pages, 113 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #3064, with corrections. Musica ficta are editorial.
- Editor: Diana Thompson (submitted 2006-05-31). Score information: A4, 10 pages, 125 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Revised edition (uploaded 2008-10-21), correcting previous errors and adding a piano reduction.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-17). Score information: Letter, 12 pages, 137 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 11 pages, 82 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Frank van Nimwegen (submitted 2001-10-19). Score information: A4, 10 pages, 221 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Possible error(s) identified. See the discussion page for full description.
Title: As Vesta was from Latmos Hill Descending
Composer: Thomas Weelkes
Number of voices: 6vv Voicing: SSATTB
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1601 in The Triumphs of Oriana, no. 17
2nd published: 1852 Novello's Glee Hive no.28
Original text and translations
As Vesta was from Latmos hill descending,
She spied a maiden Queen the same ascending,
Attended on by all the shepherds' swain,
To whom Diana's darlings came running down amain,
First two by two, then three by three together,
Leaving their goddess all alone hasted thither;
And mingling with the shepherds of her train,
With mirthful tunes her presence entertain.
Then sang the shepherds and nymphs of Diana,
Long live fair Oriana!
- Maia McCormick editions
- James Gibb editions
- Diana Thompson editions
- Keyboard reduction
- Vince M. Brennan editions
- Brian Russell editions
- Frank van Nimwegen editions
- Sheet music errors
- Thomas Weelkes compositions
- 6-part choral music
- Secular music
- Works in English
- A cappella
- 1601 works
- 1852 works
- English texts
- Sheet music
- Renaissance music