Ave Dei Patris Filia (Robert Fayrfax)
- (Posted 2020-04-10) CPDL #57930:
- Editor: Humphrey Thompson (submitted 2020-04-10). Score information: A3, 19 pages, 156 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original clefs suggest a men's voice piece; contact the editor for a lower edition. Edition prepared for the Fayrfax 2021 Quincentenary, generously supported by the Mercers' Company.
- (Posted 2016-10-17) CPDL #41468:
- Editor: Daisy Gibbs (submitted 2016-10-17). Score information: A4, 19 pages, 241 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Eclectic edition drawn from all the surviving sixteenth-century sources. Transposed up a perfect fourth. All in-line accidentals are original; superscript accidentals are either from a single late source or editorial and may be adopted or not at the performer's discretion. Please feel free to email me if you would like any critical commentary.
- (Posted 2015-05-24) CPDL #35515:
- Editor: John Hetland (submitted 2015-05-24). Score information: Letter, 17 pages, 1.97 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Source: Collected Works, ed. Edwin B. Warren. Notation here is a fourth higher than the original, note values halved. Thanks to James Kimbel for pointing out that David Skinner, editor for a series of recordings by The Cardinall's Musick (Gaudeamus), notes that the Warren edition was based on a single manuscript source, "which, when compared with the other readings, has proved to be defective, especially from 'semper virgo Maria. Amen.'" We have attempted to transcribe Skinner's readings from the recording. See last page for locations affected. Text underlay, musica ficta and translation by John Hetland and The Renaissance Street Singers. 4/19/98
Title: Ave Dei Patris Filia
Composer: Robert Fayrfax
Original text and translations
Ave Déi Pátris fília nobilíssima,
Hail, most noble daughter of God the Father,