Boxford (Samuel Holyoke)
- (Posted 2016-10-15) CPDL #41442:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-10-15). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 56 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1791. Begins in B major, last half in A major.
- (Posted 2016-10-15) CPDL #41441:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2016-10-15). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 1 page, 57 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). The last half, originally in A major, has been transposed down to D major, the key of the first half.
Description: Words by John Lathrop, apparently only published here. Holyoke used two stanzas of Lathrop's hymn in his composition.
Original text and translations
This is the day when Christ arose,
And triumphed o'er his hellish foes;
When he ascended to the sky,
Crowned with the palm of victory.
Rejoice, my soul, and sing his praise,
Proclaim how wondrous are his ways;
Swell, swell the anthem to his name,
Exalt his works of grace and fame.