Brookfield (William Billings)
- (Posted 2014-10-12) CPDL #33122:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-10-12). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 45 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Words as in Billings (1778), by Isaac Watts, his Hymn 1 of Book 3, 1709. Note shapes added (4-shape). Revised 2019-05-01.
- (Posted 2008-11-16) CPDL #18303:
- Editor: Tim Henderson (submitted 2008-11-16). Score information: A4, 1 page, 281 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Version taken from "The Easy Instructor" 1810 where the text given is Isaac Watts Psalm 143 "Look down in pity, Lord, and see". Billings text in The Singing Master's Assistant (1778) was "'Twas on that dark, that doleful night," (also by Watts, Hymns Book 3)
Description: First published as music only in 1770, revised by Billings with words in 1778 ("Twas on that dark, that doleful night"), reprinted in the fourth (or fifth) edition of "The Easy Instructor" in 1810 with different words ("Look down in pity, Lord, and see"). ("The Easy Instructor" was reportedly the first book (1801) to use a four-shape note format.)