Category talk:Unknown composers
- (conversation moved here from the category's page)
- There is a Giuseppe Concone (Turin 1810-1861) - Besides vocal music, he also wrote 2 Operas.
- Christopher Thomas Walliser (Alsatian, 17 April 1568- 26 April 1648)
-- Mr Joe 14:03, 14 March 2006
- Yep. Giuseppe Concone = Joseph Concone. Composer of the useful singing primers known simply by name as "Concone". I've fixed up his pages. Matthieu Le Maistre was a Flemish composer c.1505 - c. 1577. Matheus Sojka was a Bohemian composer 12 February 1740 - 13 March 1817 - first name is given as Matěj in Grove. --Pml 16:33:42, 2006-03-14 (PST)
what to do about this category?
I'm ruminating on the existence of this category.
We have categories to indicate (separately) whether a composer's era is unknown. Previously, this page was listing just the handful of composers where someone added the Unknown Composers category, while most composers show up under either the unknown era, or the unknown nationality or both (but not on this page). So I think we should categorize differently. This page should be the union of the listings on the other pages, if possible, so someone familiar with composers can see, in a single place, if a composer they known about is missing either nationality or era. And this should be generated automatically based on the inclusion of either/both of these two characteristics OR the manual inclusion of Unkonwn composers, to have a one-stop place for composers missing this information. Should it include unknown births/deaths too?
What should be done about composers whose birth/death/nationality is _unknowable_ so as not to clutter the usefulness of this page? I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts...
This category existed because the old Add Composer form (now disabled) would categorize new composers here if the person filling the form failed to inform either the composer's nationality or era. So, instead of [Category:Unknown era], the form would add [Category:Unknown composers]. Since this category is now empty, I think it could be deleted. The union you suggest is not possible here, but it could be done elsewhere using DPL code. —Carlos 19:13, 27 March 2010 (UTC)
- Here's a page using DPL code: ChoralWiki:Composers with missing information. Is that what you had in mind? With relation to the problem of really unknown births/deaths, perhaps we should change the wording here: replace all "unknown birth/death/era/nationality" categories with "unspecified birth/death/era/nationality", and leave the word "unknown" only for these specific cases. —Carlos 19:41, 27 March 2010 (UTC)