Christus, Op. 97 (Felix Mendelssohn)
- Contributor: Paolo Pandolfo (submitted 2015-12-03). Score information: A4, 38 pages, 1.86 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: scan from IMSLP of Breitkopf und Härtel, n.d.(ca.1876) Piano-vocal score
(Recit., Terzett & Chor "Es wird ein Stern")
- Editor: Richard Mix (submitted 2019-11-01). Score information: letter, 1 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The formatted string parts for Chorus No. 3 are 3pp each; the source code includes incomplete material from introductory recitative & trio.
- Editor: Andrew Crookall (submitted 2003-11-27). Score information: A4, 12 pages, 357 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original text in German, with recitative and TBB trio. Keyboard version.
- (Posted 2001-03-19) CPDL #02187: Score information: A4, 11 pages, 291 kB Copyright: CPDL
- (Posted 2001-03-19) CPDL #02188: Score information: Letter, 12 pages, 157 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Editor: Denis Mason (submitted 2001-03-19).
- Edition notes: Text in English, with recitative and TBB trio. Keyboard version.
Daughters of Zion
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2014-08-18). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 107 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from the Church Anthem book of the Church of Scotland (OUP, 1933). Keyboard version.
|This work is incomplete, either because the composer did not finish composing the work, or because some of the music has subsequently become lost.|
This does not necessarily refer to the CPDL edition(s), which may have been completed editorially.
Title: Christus, Op. 97 (MWV A 26)
Composer: Felix Mendelssohn
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB, Tenor solo recit., & TTBB
Genre: Sacred, Oratorio, Passion
Languages: German, English
Description: Posthumously published oratorio to a biblical text complied by Christian Karl Josias von Bunsen, at one point planned in 3-parts as "Erde, Hölle und Himmel", the two sections composed (Birth, 1-3, & Passion, 4-) both belonging to "Earth".
- Recit. "Da Jesus geboren ward"
- Terzett "Wo ist der neugeboren"
- Chor "Es wird ein Stern aus Jakob aufgehn" ("There will a Star form Jacob come forth")
- Recit. "Und der ganze Haufe"
- Chor "Diesen finden wir"
- Recit. "Pilatus aber sprach"
- Chor "Hinweg"
- Recit "Da rief Pilatus"
- Chor "Kreutzige"
- Recit "Pilatus sprach zu ihnen"
- Chor "Wir haben ein Gesetz"
- Recit "Da überantwortete er"
- Chor "Ihr Töchter Zions" ("Daughters of Zion")
- Choral "Er nimmt auf seinen Rücken" (TTBB)
- Free choir training aids for this work are available at Choralia.
- Christus, Op. 97 (Felix Mendelssohn) at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP)
View the Wikipedia article on Christus, Op. 97 (Felix Mendelssohn).
- 1973 Performance in English (Guildford Cathedral Choir with Barry Rose)
Original text and translations
- Paolo Pandolfo editions
- Editions with large score files
- Keyboard version
- Richard Mix editions
- Andrew Crookall editions
- Denis Mason editions
- James Gibb editions
- Unfinished works
- Felix Mendelssohn compositions
- 4-part choral music
- Sacred music
- Works in German
- Works in English
- Orchestra accompaniment
- Works with training aids
- Works with training aids at Choralia
- German texts
- English texts
- Sheet music
- Romantic music