Come, we that love the Lord (Burgundy) (Thomas Clark)
- Editor: Edmund Gooch (submitted 2015-12-10). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 53 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: The order of parts in the source is Alto - Tenor - Air - Bass, with the Alto and Tenor parts given in the treble clef an octave above sounding pitch. Only the first verse of the text is given in the source: four selected subsequent verses have here been added editorially.
Title: Come, we that love the Lord
Composer: Thomas Clark
Lyricist: Isaac Watts
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 66. 86 (S.M.)
Instruments: Basso continuo
First published: 1836 This setting was published on pp. 480-481 of Thomas Clark's collection The Congregational Harmonist, or Clerk's Companion, which was published in 32 numbered parts (each consisting of 18 pages), grouped into four books (eight parts per book). The pages are consecutively paginated throughout the work as a whole. This setting appears in no. 27
Description: Volume 3 of The Congregational Harmonist (consisting of numbers 17-24) was advertised on p12 of No. 1 of The Musical World, on 18 March 1836. No. 28 of The Congregational Harmonist was advertised on p128 of No. 48, Vol. 4, of The Musical World, on 10 February 1837. Bearing these dates in mind, it seems likely that no. 27 of The Congregational Harmonist was published during 1836.
This setting is attributed 'T. Clark' in The Congregational Harmonist, where it is marked with a crossed circle, a symbol used in that book to indicate 'originals' (i.e. tunes not previously published).
Variants of the same text (beginning 'Come, we that love the Lord' or 'Come, ye that love the Lord') were set to at least three other tunes by Thomas Clark, including:
- Sunderland, in A Set of Psalm and Hymn Tunes, London: 
- Wormley, in Clark's Sixth Set of Hymn Tunes, London: [c1811]
- Morley, in An Eighth Set of Psalm & Hymn Tunes, London: [c1817]
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at Come, we that love the Lord.