1. Ye pilgrims through this vale of tears, Come, let us cheer each other,
Amid the danger's doubts and fears, Let each console his brother.
Our way is often dark and hard, Temptations all around us,
Unless we pray with one accord They surely will confound us.
2. We see the pit where others lie, All smitten by the Tempter,
We too shall come to grief and die, If we to him surrender.
We'll walk the blood besprinkled way, The road that leads to glory,
And as we go we'll sing and pray, And tell redemption's story.
3. While some are shouting all the time, Some other hearts are bleeding,
They want the heavenly peace to find For which their souls are pleading.
Come, let us lead them through the gate, The way of sins confessing,
The word of God will put them straight, And they will find the blessing.
4. There may be some that's growing tired, Because the way is tedious,
Let's take the Book that was inspired And tell them more 'bout Jesus.
Tell them of him who bled and died, The crucifixion story,
Who rendered justice satisfied, And then went home to glory.
5. We soon shall reach the shining shore, And see our dear Redeemer,
Where we shall weep and sigh no more, But praise His name forever.
Our time is short and crossed great, And often hard to carry,
Unless we start we'll be too late, We've got no time to tarry.
6. We almost hear the happy shouts Of saints beyond the river,
They've gone beyond this world of doubts, They're saved with God forever.
Our kindred, they are in that throng, O what a happy meeting,
We'll watch and pray, it won't be long, Before the heavenly greeting.