Farewell (Jacob French)
- (Posted 2018-01-31) CPDL #48627:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2018-01-31). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 70 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval note edition, as written in 1789.
- (Posted 2018-01-31) CPDL #48626:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2018-01-31). Score information: 7 x 10 inches (landscape), 3 pages, 87 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape). Transcribed from The New American Melody, 1789.
Description: Re-arranged in Southern Harmony, 1835, and in The Sacred Harp, 1844 to the present. Words by an anonymous author, first appearing here, perhaps by French.
Original text and translations
My friends, I am going a long and tedious journey,
Never to return.
Fare ye well my friends,
And God grant we may meet together in that world above,
Where trouble shall cease, and harmony shall abound.
Hark, my dear friends, for death has called me,
And I must go and lie down in the cold and silent grave,
Where the mourners cease from mourning,
And where the prisoner is free,
Where the rich and the poor are both alike.
Fare ye well my friends.