From the depth I called on thee, O Lord (Christopher Tye)
- (Posted 2022-12-07)
- • CPDL #71824: At source pitch for SSTB or AATB:
- • CPDL #71823: Transposed up a minor third for SSAB:
- Editor: Jason Smart (submitted 2022-12-07). Score information: A4, 13 pages, 199 kB Copyright: CC BY NC ND
- Edition notes: Edited from the Hamond Partbooks via the digital images on DIAMM. Original note values retained.
- Editor: Christopher Shaw (submitted 2018-03-20). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 68 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Please click on the link for preview/playback/PDF download.
Title: From the depth I called on thee, O Lord
Composer: Christopher Tye
Lyricist: Psalm 130, vv. 1-4create page
Number of voices: 4vv Voicings: SSTB, AATB or SATB
Genre: Sacred, Anthem
Instruments: A cappella
Manuscript c.1560-1590 in British Library Add. MS 30480-30483 (Hamond Partbooks), no. 29
Description: Tye was an enthusiastic participant in the Edwardian reformation, composing for the newly coined English liturgy. Tye's text, a translation of Psalm 130, is from the King's Primer of 1545. The translator remains unidentified. It is most likely to be one who held favour with the Edwardian settlement around the period of the drafting and adoption of the Book of Common Prayer of 1549.
Original text and translations
From the depth I called on thee, O Lord: Lord hear my voice.
Let thy ears give good heed to the voice of my prayers.
If thou, Lord, will look straightly upon sins, O good Lord,
who shall abide it?
But with thee is mercy.