Holy Week Sequence (Mark Liversidge)
- Have mercy on me, O God (chant)
- Editor: Mark Liversidge (submitted 2014-03-08). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 68 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Consists of a chant for choir (and optional congregation) with a cantor. Should be accompanied for congregational use, but can be unaccompanied for choir only.
- Hide not your face from me (anthem)
- Editor: Mark Liversidge (submitted 2014-03-08). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 59 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: A capella anthem, second part can be sung by either soprano or alto. A piano reduction for this piece is available on request by e-mail to the composer.
Title: Holy Week Sequence
Composer: Mark Liversidge
- Have mercy on me, O God
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Chant, suitable for Holy Week
First published: 2014
- Hide not your face from me
Number of voices: 5vv Voicings: SSATB or SAATB
Genre: Sacred, Anthem
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 2014
Description: Composed for a service on the Wednesday of Holy Week in 2012. Texts selected by Rev. Dr. Jenny Gage, curate in the parish of the composer. The chant section can be sung in a number of ways: either as a continuous sequence, broken up into between two and five sections, or just using the chant without the cantor sections as a prayer response. If breaking up into suggestions, it is suggested that the chant is sung once without cantor at the beginning of each section. The anthem should then be used to conclude the sequence, or can be used separately.
Original text and translations
Have mercy on me, O God
Psalm 51: 1, 7, 11 / Mark 14:36 / Psalm 130:1
Have mercy on me, O God, in your great goodness.
Have mercy on me according to the abundance of thy comapssion,
blot out my offences.
Behold, you desire deep truth within me,
and shall make me understand wisdom,
in the depths of my heart.
Make me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Abba, Father, all things are possible for you,
take this cup away from me,
but not what I will, but what you will.
Out of the depths I have cried to you, O Lord,
O Lord, hear my voice.
Hide not your face from me
Psalm 27: 11-12
Hide not your face from me,
nor cast your servant away in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.