Hymns of Charles Wesley
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Work in Progress – 28 January 2018)
How this list was compiled
- Hymns were included if known or reasonably suspected to be by Charles Wesley.
- Translations were not included.
- All punctuation was removed from the beginning and end of first lines.
- Words were changed to their modern equivalents, for example shew became show. Spelling was corrected and Americanized.
- Most contractions were expanded, such as entic'd or follow'd. Exceptions were allowed when a contraction was commonly used, such as e'er and o'er; but 'tis usually became tis, always at the beginning of a line.
- Meter codes used standard conventions, except a dot was added at the end of each code. This was necessary because some data tools interpret codes like 77.77 as a number, rather than text. Spaces were eliminated except when necessary.
Lists by Title
- First lines sorted with punctuation (,.;:!?) removed
- Charles Wesley Hymns, A – C
- Charles Wesley Hymns, D – G
- Charles Wesley Hymns, H – I
- Charles Wesley Hymns, J – L
- Charles Wesley Hymns, M – O
- Charles Wesley Hymns, P – S
- Charles Wesley Hymns, T
- Charles Wesley Hymns, U – Z
Lists by Meter
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters 4, 5, and 6
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters 7
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters 8
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meter 88.88.88.
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters 886.886.
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters 10, 12, and Irregular
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters C.M. and C.M.D.
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meter L.M.
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meter L.M.D.
- Charles Wesley Hymns, Meters S.M. and S.M.D.
Hymns probably not by Charles Wesley
- Sometimes attributed to him, but not found in his publications
- Ambassadors of God – a title given to God, the offended God most high (1767b)
- Come, Thou almighty King – Author anonymous
- Come, thou Savior, long-expected – Not found
- Eternal Son, eternal love – A title given to Father of everlasting love (1745b)
- Holy, holy, Lord – There are two C. Wesley hymns Holy, holy, holy Lord in 1767b.
- Holy Jesus, Savior mild – Not found
- Jesus, my advocate above – An altered version of Jesus! My great high-priest above (1739a)
- Let saints on earth in concert sing – Not found
- Lord of the church, we humbly pray – A highly altered version of Thou Jesus, thou my breast inspire (1747b)
- O thou, before the world began – not found
- Servants of Christ, his truth who know – not found
- Ye ransomed sinners, hear – not found