In the hour of trial (John Bacchus Dykes)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-08-24). Score information: A4, 1 page, 19 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From Church Hymnary, 1927.
Original text and translations
1. In the hour of trial, Jesus, pray for me,
Lest by base denial I depart from Thee;
When Thou seest me waver, sad Gethsemane,
Or, in darker semblance, Cross-crowned Calvary.
2. With its witching pleasures would this vain world charm,
Or its sordid treasures spread to work me harm,
Bring to my remembrance freely offered up,
Though the flesh may falter, faith shall drink the cup.
3. If with sore affliction Thou in love chastise,
Pour Thy benediction on the sacrifice;
Then, upon Thine altar through that mortal strife,
Lord, receive me, dying, to eternal life.
4. When in dust and ashes to the grave I sink,
While heaven's glory flashes o'er the shelving brink,
On Thy truth relying with a look recall,
Nor for fear or favour suffer me to fall.