Born: 9 October 1962
Jonathan Adams is a cum laude graduate of Arkansas State University where he received both his Bachelor of Music Ed. and his Master of Music Ed. degrees. While at ASU, he studied choral music with the late Alfred Skoog and composition with Jared Spears. As a senior at ASU, Adams was featured in "Who's Who Among America's College Students".
Adams has been composing since age 18 and has many works in print. His compositions have been performed by such diverse choirs as the Florilegium Chamber Choir of New York, under the direction of JoAnn Rice, the Coral de Sao Domingos of Montemor-o-Novo, Portugal conducted by Joao Luis Nabo, Tirn Aill conducted by Matias Martinez of Argentina, Vox Camerata of Singapore, and the Consort Chorale of San Anselmo, CA. under the direction of Robert Allan Petker. His work has also been featured by the Arkansas State University Concert Choir, the University of Mississippi Concert Singers,and the Arkansas Tech University Chamber Choir. His music has been used for several All-Region and All-Conference Choirs, including the Alabama Jr. High All-State and the Northwest and Southern ACDA Jr. Honor Choirs, as well as a commissioned work for the Southwest ACDA Jr. Honor Choir, conducted by Patrick Freer.
In 2000, 2004 and 2005 Adams was included in “Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers" and was honored in 2007 by his home state when the Arkansas Choral Directors Association commissioned Adams to write a piece in honor of the 40th anniversary of the Arkansas All-State Choirs. November 2008 saw the release of "I Believe in the Sun" on the CD "Hear My Prayer" by the Atlanta Sacred Chorale, conducted by Eric Nelson. August 2010 marked Adams' first appearance as a writer, as his piece, "The Ancient Track" for SATB and Piano (based on the poem by H. P. Lovecraft) and an article on the composition of the piece appeared in the Lovecraft Annual #4, edited by S. T. Joshi and David Schultz and published by Hippocampus Press. Adams' latest work is published by E.C. Schirmer Music, Pavane Publishing of San Pedro, California, Santa Barbara Music Press, Shawnee Music Press, Augsburg Fortress Publishing.
Adams teaches at Nettleton High School in Jonesboro, Arkansas and currently resides with his wife Kim and their daughters, Olivia Ann and Madeline Claire. He is a member of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) from whom he has received several awards, the American Choral Directors Association, the American Composers Forum, and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. In 2013, Adams was named a National Arts Associate by Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity. Please go to his Facebook page (see below) to contact the composer.
See also: Jonathan Adams's editor page.
List of choral works
- Awake and sing
- Lines on ale
- My epitaph
- The noise of waters
- The Ring
- Stars, Songs and Faces
- Summer Stars
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- Three Songs from Edgar Allan Poe - SATB and Piano - CMS Press
- Hymn from 'Morella'
- Evening Star
- Gifts - SSA and Piano - Plymouth Music, Inc.
- Annabel Lee - SATB and Piano - CMS Press
- Deadman's Dirge - TTB and Piano - CMS Press
- It's all I have to Bring…- SATB and Piano, SSA and piano - CMS Press
- Praise Song - SAB and Percussion - CMS Press
- A Red, Red Rose - SATB and Piano - Heritage Music Press
- Reeds of Innocence - SAB and Piano - Warner Bros. Permanently Out of Print
- Places among the Stars - SATB and Piano - Heritage Music Press
- Coming in the Fall - SATB and Piano - Alliance Music Publications Permanently Out of Print
- Windy Nights - SATB and Piano - Alliance Music Publications Permanently Out of Print
- Ring Out, Wild Bells - SATB and Piano - Alliance Music Publications
- Voyagers - SATB and Piano - Alliance Music Publications Permanently Out of Print
- Alone - SATB and Piano - Alliance Music Publications Permanently Out of Print
- High Flight - SATB a cappella - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- The Plans I have for You - SSATBB a cappella or accompanied - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- I Believe in the Sun - SSATB a cappella (dedicated to the victims of Hurricane Katrina) - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- "Emily Dickinson Speaks of Time and Forever"
- The Chariot - SATB and Piano - Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- Forever - is composed of Nows - SATB and Piano - Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- My Sun and Stars - SSATTB and Piano - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- All Men Dream - SATB and Piano (Commissioned by the Arkansas Choral Directors Association for the 2007 Combined All-State Choirs) - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- The Lone, Wild Bird - SATB and Piano - Augsburg Fortress Publishers
- Honey in the Rock - SATB a cappella - Shawnee Press
- We are the Music Makers - SATB and Piano - Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- Song of Peace (Da Pacem, Domine) - SSAATBB a cappella - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- This Still Room… - SSATBB a cappella - Mark Foster
- Ave Rosa - SSAA and Piano - Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- Pater Noster - SATB a cappella - Periferia Music
- The Ancient Track - SSATB and Piano - Hippocampus Press (appearing in the Lovecraft Annual)
- A Rose in the Deeps of my Heart - SSATTB a cappella - Santa Barbara Music Publishi
- You are the Peace - SATB a cappella Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- Psalm 42 - SATB and Piano - Augsburg Fortress
- A Merrie Noyse - SSATTB a cappella
- As on the Night… - SATB w/optional organ
- Ask Me No More - TTB a cappella
- The Divine Image - SATB and Piano - Choristers Guild
- Cleansing Fountain - SSATB a cappella - Shawnee Music Press
- A Living Dream - SATB, Flute and Piano - Santa Barbara Music Publishing
- Everything Beautiful - SATB a cappella - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
- If My People… - SATB and Piano - Choristers Guild
- There Shall Be Wings - SATB and Piano - Pavane Publishing/Hal Leonard
New Releases for 2016
Composer's social networking pages:
- "A Rose in the Deeps of My Heart"
- "All Men Dream"
- "All Men Dream" performed by the Arkansas All-State Choirs
- "I Believe in the Sun"
- "Annabel Lee"
- "Honey in the Rock"
- "Pater Noster"
- "The Ancient Track"
- "The Noise of Waters"
- "You are the Peace"
- "Ave Rosa"
- "Everything Beautiful"
- "The Plans I Have For You"
- "This Still Room"
- "There Shall Be Wings"
- "Honey in the Rock"
- "Hymn from Morella"
- "Places Among the Stars"
- "The Divine Image"
- "The Chariot"
- "Forever is Composed of Nows"
- "Hymn from Morella"
- "A Song of Peace" (Da Pacem Domine)
Links related to the composer:
- JW Pepper Jonathan Adams music section
- Distributor for CMS Press
- Pavane Publishing
- Santa Barbara Music Publishers, which publishes some of the composer's works
- Sheet Music Plus - link for the composer
- Cadenza One - link to composer's music available for instant download
- CD Baby link for "Hear My Prayer" the Atlanta Sacred Chorale, Eric Nelson, conductor
Other links of interest provided by the composer: