Love shooting at another (Giles Farnaby)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-04-23). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 74 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #14896, transposed down a minor 3rd and with Soprano and Alto parts interchanged. Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Revised files uploaded 02/02/19.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-10). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 32 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-12). Score information: Letter, 5 pages, 48 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan.
Title: Love shooting at another
Composer: Giles Farnaby
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1598 in Canzonets to Four Voices, no. 14
Description: Part 2 of 2 part madrigal, part 1 is Love shooting among many.
Original text and translations
Love, shooting at another,
he miss'd that mark and chanced to hit his mother;
but as the Lady fainted,
god Mars did start and therewith was attainted;
When Vulcan saw the shot did fret him,
he curs'd the boy and swore that he would beat him.