Lynnfield (Oliver Holden)
- (Posted 2014-11-02) CPDL #33263:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-11-02). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 27 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Oval-note edition.
- (Posted 2014-11-02) CPDL #33264:
- Editor: Barry Johnston (submitted 2014-11-02). Score information: 7 x 10 in (landscape), 1 page, 63 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Note shapes added (4-shape).
Description: Words by Isaac Watts, 1711, Hymn 122 of Book 2.
Original text and translations
My God, permit me not to be
A stranger to myself and thee;
Amidst a thousand thoughts I rove,
Forgetful of my highest love.
Why should my passions mix with earth,
And thus debase my heavenly birth?
Why should I cleave to things below,
And let my God, my Savior, go?
Call me away from flesh and sense,
One sovereign word can draw me thence;
I would obey the voice divine,
And all inferior joys resign.
Be earth with all her scenes withdrawn,
Let noise and vanity begone;
In secret silence of the mind
My heaven, and there my God, I find.