Madre, la de los primores (Juana Inés de la Cruz)
- (Posted 2011-09-23) CPDL #24549: (Sibelius 5)
- Editor: Jonathan Goodliffe (submitted 2011-09-23). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 42 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Corrected version uploaded 2012-02-10. Thanks to Mick Swithinbank and Zulma Ramirez for emendations. From the Música Colonial Archive. There seem to be errors in manuscript, which has resulted in some extensive editing. Bar 1 Tiple 2, 3rd note changed from G to A. Bar 17, B flat should possibly be changed to G.
Title: Madre, la de los primores
Composer: Juana Inés de la Cruz
Attribution: The attribution of this work has been questioned.
First published: 1686
Description: A villancico described as "A 4", although the prosody was not completed for the tenor/bass part. So it is possible that it may have been intended to be sung by female voices with the fourth part as accompaniment.
- Microfilmed source from Música Colonial (requires "Dejavu" software, free download available here).
- Madre, la de los primores (Juana Inés de la Cruz) at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP)
Original text and translations
Madre, la de los primores,