O Lord of Hosts, and God of Israel (Song 22) (Orlando Gibbons)
- Editor: Richard Mix (submitted 2020-11-17). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 41 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Original text and translations
1. O Lord of Hoastes, and God of Israel!
Thou who betweene the Cherubins dost dwell;
Of all the world thou onely art the King,
and Heaven and Earth unto their forme didst bring.
2. Lord bowe thine eare; to heare attentive bee;
Lift up thine eyes, and daigne, Oh Lord, to see
What words Senacherib hath cast abroad;
And his proud Message to the living God.
3. Lord, true it is, that Lands and Kingdomes all
Are to the King of Ashur brought in thrall:
Yea, he their Gods into the fire hath throwne:
For Gods they were not, but of wood and stone.
4. Mans worke they were & men dethron'd them have.
Us therefore from his power vouchsafe to save;
That all the Kingdoms of the world may see,
That thou art God, that onely thou art hee.