O admirabile commercium (Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina)
- (Posted 2020-05-01) CPDL #58348:
- Original key (high chiavette):
- Transposed down a tone:
- Transposed down a fourth: - Alto in transposed violin clef.
- Editor: Pothárn Imre (submitted 2020-05-01). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 103 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from 1579 Gardano edition. Original note values.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2018-02-06). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 62 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #18553, with minor adjustments to the underlay.
- Editor: Steven Marchand (submitted 2013-02-08). Score information: Letter, 3 pages, 43 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Taken from volume one of the "Opera omnia Ioannis Petraloysii Praenestini" edited by Theodor de Witt. That edition published c. 1870. Re-notated with modern clefs and transposed down a whole step.
- Editor: Paul R. Marchesano (submitted 2008-12-14). Score information: Letter, 6 pages, 74 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: O admirabile commercium
Composer: Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina
First published: 1569 in Liber primus motettorum, no. 1
2nd published: 1585 in Sacrae Cantiones (Lindner), no. 4
Later it was republished in a collection entitled Florilegium sacrarum cantionum by Phalèse in Antwerp in 1602.}} Description: The text of this motet is often translated poetically. The original text uses the relatively rare word, commercium, lit. "intercourse/sex" and the phrase, sine semine, literally "without semen".
Original text and translations
Original text and translations may be found at O admirabile commercium.