O that I knew where I might find him (William Sterndale Bennett)
- (Posted 2017-02-26) CPDL #43302: (Sibelius 4)
- Editor: Brian Marble (submitted 2017-02-26). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 73 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Non-condensed; no dynamics.
- (Posted 2008-03-01) CPDL #16276:
- Editor: Robin Doveton (submitted 2008-03-01). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 166 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Based on the edition in the Congregational Church Hymnal (c.1883) which shows where the (obbligato) organ part differs from the voice parts and includes dynamics which probably appear in the original, open-score, edition. Revised Sept. 2020.
Title: O that I knew where I might find him
Composer: William Sterndale Bennett
Source of text: Job xxiii. 3, 8, 9; John xx. 29
Original text and translations
O that I knew where I might find Him,
that I might come even to His seat!
Behold, I go forward but He is not there,
and backward, but I cannot perceive Him.
On the left hand, where he doth work,
but I cannot behold Him: He hideth himself on the right hand.
Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed.