Rejoice! rejoice, believers (Anonymous)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2022-01-02). Score information: A4, 1 page, 51 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with harmony and underlaid words in the version published in The Hymnal 1982
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2022-01-02). Score information: A4, 1 page, 137 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in The Hymnal 1982, melody with words
Title: Rejoice! rejoice, believers
Lyricist: Laurentius Laurenticreate page
- Translation by Sarah Laurie Borthwick Findlater
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 76. 76. D
Instruments: A cappella or keyboard
Description: Melody from Hymnau a Thonau er Gwasanaeth yr Eglwys yng Nghymru (1865). A descant to the hymn can be found here.
Original text and translations
Rejoice! rejoice, believers,
and let your lights appear!
The evening is advancing,
and darker night is near.
The Bridegroom is arising,
and soon he will draw nigh;
up, watch in expectation!
at midnight comes the cry.
See that your lamps are burning,
replenish them with oil;
look now for your salvation,
the end of sin and toil.
The marriage-feast is waiting,
the gates wide open stand;
rise up, ye heirs of glory,
the Bridegroom is at hand!
Our hope and expectation,
O Jesus, now appear;
arise, thou Sun so longed for,
above this darkened sphere!
With hearts and hands uplifted,
we plead, O Lord, to see
the day of earth’s redemption,
and ever be with thee!