This is an hymn by George Richards, first published in 1792, and reprinted in 1808.
Settings by composers
Text and translations
1. The Almighty spake, and Gabriel sped
Upborne on wings of light;
Jehovah's glory round him spread,
And changed to day, the night.
2. Swift down to earth the archangel flew
From God's eternal throne;
His shining robe of rainbow hue,
The stars, moon, sun outshone.
3. One note of peace was heard on high:
Glad tidings rolled around:
Ten thousand thousand left the sky,
To catch salvation's sound.
4. Shout, shout for joy, rejoice, O earth:
Hail, hail this glorious morn;
Rejoice! rejoice, in Jesus' birth,
Today are nations born.
5. From Zion's hill to worlds above,
Re-echoed back the strain;
And golden harps attuned to love,
Thus swept Ephrathah's plain.
6. He comes! he comes! the Savior God,
Good will, peace, joy for men,
Glad tidings shout to all abroad.
So be it, Lord, Amen.
add links here