The Beatitudes (Progress Gabriel Akpabio)
- Editor: Progress Gabriel Akpabio (submitted 2021-10-13). Score information: A4, 172 pages, 7.23 MB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: 21st Century Classical Oratorio - The Beatitudes
Composer: Progress Gabriel Akpabio
First published: 2021
Description: Beatitudes is the sermon of comfort and joy that Jesus preached on top of the mountain to his disciples and the multitudes. In the sermon, Jesus assured all his followers who labour for him and face varying challenges in this life because of their faithfulness to him of the coming kingdom of God where they will be freed from all their troubles and be rewarded for their righteousness/faithfulness. The choice of this theme – “The Beatitudes” in this oratorio work was therefore meant to preach this message of consolation to the broken-hearted, and encouragement to all true Christians who face different challenges in this life, assuring them of a better time coming very soon when The Lord will take away all their troubles and restore unto them everything they lost/lacked in their course of following the master, Jesus Christ. The oratorio ends with exhortation calling on all those who want to enter the kingdom of God and enjoy the bliss to be steadfast and diligent in their service, and remove hypocrisy from their lives so that they will be able to enter.
- THE SCORES IN PDF CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE FOLLOWING LINKS:
- THE VIDEO IN mp4 FORMAT CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THIS LINKS:
- THE AUDIO RECORDINGS IN mp3 FORMAT CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THESE LINKS:
- 1.01 OVERTURE.mp3
- 1.02 AND SEEING THE MULTITUDES & 1.03 BLESSED ARE THE POOR IN SPIRIT.mp3:
- 1.04 BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO MOURN.mp3:
- 1.05 BLESSED ARE THE MEEK.mp3:
- 1.06 BLESSED ARE THE HUNGRY.mp3
- 1.07 BLESSED ARE THE MERCIFUL.mp3:
- 1.08 BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART.mp3:
- 1.09 BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS.mp3:
- 1.10 BLESSED ARE THE PERSECUTED.mp3:
- 2.11 KINGDOM BLISS SYMFONI.mp3:
- 2.12 BLESSED ARE THE REVILED & 2.13 REJOICE AND BE EXCEEDINGLY GLAD.mp3:
- 2.14 YE ARE THE SALT OF THE EARTH & 2.15 LET YOUR LIGHT SO SHINE BEFORE MEN.mp3:
- 2.16 EXCEPT YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS EXCEEDS THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES.mp3:
- THE ACCOMPANIMENTS FOR THE WORK CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THIS LINK (BEATITUDES ACCOMPANIMENTS_MP3.ZIP):
Original text and translations
1.02 RECITATIVE (Soprano) Matthew 5:1-2
And seeing the multitudes, he went up onto a mountain; and when he had sat down, his disciples came unto him. And he opened his mouth and taught them saying:
1.03 CHORUS Matthew 5:3
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
1.04 DUET (Soprano and Alto) Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
1.05 AIR (Tenor) Matthew 5:5
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
1.06 AIR (Alto) Matthew 5:6
Blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
1.07 AIR (Bass) Matthew 5:7
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
1.08 AIR (Alto) Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
1.09 AIR (Soprano) Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.
1.10 AIR (Tenor) Matthew 5:10
Blessed are they that are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
2.12 DUET (Soprano and Tenor) Matthew 5:11
Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
2.13 CHORUS Matthew 5:12
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so persecuted they the prophets who were before you.
2.14 TRIO Matthew 5:13-15
Ye are the salt of the earth; but if the salt hast lost its taste, how can its saltness be restored? it is no longer good for anything,
except to be thrown out, and trampled under foot by men. Ye are the light of the world, a city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do men light a lamb, and put it under the bushel, but on the lamb stand; and it gives light to everyone in the house.
2.15 CHORUS Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
2.16 CHORUS Matthew 5:20
For I say unto you, except your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven.