The Call - Come my way (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
- Editor: Marc Cerisier (submitted 2014-07-09). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 307 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Newly engraved based on the original edition in Eb major. Includes a keyboard version of the original accompaniment.
- Contributor: David Newman (submitted 2008-06-07). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 118 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard version of the original accompaniment.
First published: 1911
Description: No. 4 from 5 Mystical Songs. The work sets four poems by George Herbert, from his 1633 collection The Temple: Sacred Poems and Private Ejaculations, published 1633. The Call was adapted as a hymntune by E. Harold Greer.
- Free choir training aids for this work are available at Choralia.
Original text and translations
Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.
Come, My Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.
Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part:
Such a Heart, as joys in love.