1. There were three ravens sat on a tree, Down a down hey down hey down.
And they were as black as they might be, With a down.
Then one of them said to his mate:
"Where shall we our breakfast take?" With a down derry derry derry down down.
2. Down in yonder greenfield,
There lies a knight slain under his shield;
His hounds they lie down at his feet,
So well they can their master keep.
3. His hawks they fly so eagerly,
There is no fowl dare come him nigh
But down there comes a fallow doe,
As great with young as she might go.
With a down derry derry derry down down.
4. O she lifts up his bloody head,
And kissed his wounds that were so red.
She got him up upon her back
And carried him to an earthen lake.
5. She buried him before the prime,
She was dead herself ere evensong time.
God send every gentleman
Such hounds, such hawks and such a leman.