Thy beauty, Israel, is gone (Song 5) (Orlando Gibbons)
- Editor: Richard Mix (submitted 2020-11-17). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 28 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Sibelius file is transposed.
Original text and translations
1. Thy beauty, Israel, is gone;
Slaine on the Places high is he:
The Mighty now are overthrowne:
Oh, thus how commeth it to be!
7. Weepe Israel's Daughters, weepe for Saul,
Who you with Skarlet hath aray'd;
Who clothed you with Pleasures all,
And on your Garments, Gold hath layd.
8. How comes it, he that mightie was,
The foile in Battaile doth sustain!
Thou Jonathan, oh thou (alas)
Upon thy Places high wert slaine.
9. And much distressed is my heart,
My Brother Jonathan, for thee:
My very Deare delight thou wert,
And wondrous was thy love to me.
10. So wondrous, it surpassed farre
The love of Women (evry way:)
Oh, how the Mightie fallen are!
How warlike Instruments decay!