To us a child of royal birth
This is an hymn by Charles Wesley that appeared in the manuscript volume Luke in 1766, pp. 24-25. It was first published in George Osborn's Poetical Works of Charles Wesley, Volume 11, 1871, p. 117.
Settings by composers
- John Frederick Lampe — To us a Child of royal birth SATB
Text and translations
1. To us a child of royal birth,
Heir of the promises, is given,
The invisible appears on earth,
The Son of man, the God of heaven!
2. A Savior born, in love supreme,
He comes our fallen souls to raise,
He comes his people to redeem
With all his plenitude of grace.
3. The Christ, by raptured seers foretold,
Filled with the eternal Spirit’s power,
Prophet, and priest, and King behold,
And Lord of all the worlds adore.
4. The Lord of hosts, the God most high,
Who quits his throne on earth to live,
With joy we welcome from the sky,
With faith into our hearts receive.
add links here