We walk by faith, and not by sight
This is an hymn by Henry Alford, 1844.
Settings by composers
- S. McFarland — Dunlap's Creek SATB
Text and translations
1. We walk by faith, and not by sight;
No gracious words we hear
From Him Who spake as man ne'er spake;
But we believe Him near.
2. We may not touch His hands and side,
Nor follow where He trod;
But in His promise we rejoice,
And cry, "My Lord and God!"
3. Help then, O Lord, our unbelief;
And may our faith abound,
To call on Thee when Thou art near,
And seek where Thou art found:
4. For you, O resurrected Lord,
are found in means divine:
beneath the water and the Word,
beneath the bread and wine.
5. That, when our life of faith is done,
In realms of clearer light
We may behold Thee as Thou art,
With full and endless sight.
add links here