Who made thee, Hob, forsake the Plough (William Byrd)
- (Posted 2007-09-09) CPDL #14879:
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-09). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 24 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- (Posted 2003-10-22) CPDL #05828: (Sibelius 4)
- Editor: David Fraser (submitted 2003-10-22). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 89 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Revised Jan 09.
Title: Who made thee, Hob, forsake the Plough
Composer: William Byrd
Original text and translations
Who made thee Hob forsake the Plough, and fall in love?
Sweet beauty which hath power to bow the gods above,
What, dost thou serve a shepherdess?
Ay, such as hath no peer I guess.
What is her name who bears thy heart within her breast?
Sylvana fair of high desert whom I love best,
Oh Hob, I fear she looks too high,
Yet love I must or else I die.