The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
- (Posted 2021-03-01) CPDL #63259:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-03-01). Score information: A4, 1 page, 39 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2021-03-01) CPDL #63258:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2021-03-01). Score information: A4, 1 page, 77 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- (Posted 2016-11-15) CPDL #41874:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-15). Score information: A4, 1 page, 26 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: Her Virgin eyes saw God incarnate born
Composer: Henry Lawes
Tune: Farley Castle
Lyricist: Thomas Ken
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 10 10. 10 10
2nd published: 1983 in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard, no. 310
Original text and translations
1 Her Virgin eyes saw God incarnate born,
When she to Bethl'em came that happy morn;
How high her raptures then began to swell,
None but her own omniscient Son can tell.
2 As Eve, when she her fontal sin reviewed,
Wept for herself and all she should include,
Blest Mary with man's Saviour in embrace
Joyed for herself and for all human race.
3 All Saints are by her Son's dear influence blest,
She kept the very Fountain at her breast;
The Son adored and nursed by the sweet Maid
A thousandfold of love for love repaid.
4 Heaven with transcendent joys her entrance graced,
Next to his throne her Son his Mother placed;
And her below, now she's of heaven possest,
All generations are to call her blest.