Unkind, O stay thy flying (John Wilbye)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2011-09-26). Score information: A4, 4 pages, 43 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-12-01). Score information: Letter, 6 pages, 64 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2005-08-30). Score information: A4, 5 pages, 49 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: Unkind, O stay thy flying
Composer: John Wilbye
Number of voices: 5vv Voicing: SSATB
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1598 in The First Set of Madrigals for 3-6 voices, no. 20
Original text and translations
Unkind, O, stay thy flying!
And if I needs must die, pity me dying.
But in thee, my heart is lying
And no death can assail me,
Alas! till life doth fail thee,
Oh therefore, if the fates bid thee be fleeting,
Stay for me, whose poor heart thou hast in keeping.