Ye servants of the Lord (Johannes Leisentritt)
- (Posted 2020-11-17) CPDL #61514:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-17). Score information: A4, 1 page, 34 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-11-17) CPDL #61513:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-17). Score information: A4, 1 page, 72 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
Description: Melody adapted from Johannes Leisentritt, published in Catholicum Hymnologium, 1584
External websites: https://embassysingers.de/scores/hymns.html
Original text and translations
Ye servants of the Lord,
each in his office wait,
observant of his heavenly word,
and watchful at his gate.
Let all your lamps be bright,
and trim the golden flame;
gird up your loins as in his sight,
for aweful is his name.
Watch! ’tis your Lord’s command,
and while we speak, he’s near;
mark the first signal of his hand,
and ready all appear.
O happy servant he
in such a posture found!
he shall his Lord with rapture see,
and be with honour crowned.
Christ shall the banquet spread
with his own royal hand,
and raise that faithful servant’s head
amid the angelic band.