'Tis winter now (J. Guy Stalnaker)
- Editor: J. Guy Stalnaker (submitted 2018-09-30). Score information: Letter, 2 pages, 96 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: 'Tis Winter Now
First published: 2018
Description: A new harmonization of the tune Danby (meter LM) with the Samuel Longfellow text "'Tis Winter Now."
Original text and translations
1. 'Tis winter now; the fallen snow
has left the heavens all coldly clear;
through leafless boughs the sharp winds blow,
and all the earth lies dead and drear.
2. And yet God's love is not withdrawn;
his life within the keen air breathes;
his beauty paints the crimson dawn,
and clothes each branch with glittering wreaths.
3. And though abroad the sharp winds blow,
and skies are chill, and frosts are keen,
home closer draws her circle now,
and warmer glows her light within.
4. O God, you give the winter's cold,
as well as summer's joyous rays,
you warmly in your love enfold,
and keep us through life's wintry days.
Source: Church Hymnary (4th ed.) #234