Born: 12 September 1768 in London, England
Died: 24 May 1831 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
American composer, music publisher, and organist. Trained under Samuel Arnold and Charles Wesley. Son of Joseph Carr and brother of Thomas Carr. All three were music publishers, the sons having learned the trade in their father's business in London, before they emigrated to the United States in 1793 and 1794.
View the Wikipedia article on Benjamin Carr.
List of choral works
Click here to search for this composer on CPDL
- 1803. Sacred Harmony
- 1805. Masses, Vespers, Litanies, Hymns, Psalms, Anthems and Motets
- 1812. A New Edition with an Appendix of Masses, Vespers etc.
- 1816. A Collection of Chants and Tunes
- 1820. The Chorister
- Grimes, Robert R. 2012. A Grand Selection of Sacred Music: Benjamin Carr and Early Nineteenth Century Catholic Music in Philadelphia. U. S. Catholic Historian 30(4):21-37.
- Redway, Virginia L. 1932. The Carrs, American Music Publishers. The Musical Quarterly 18(1):150-177.