City of God, how broad and far (Thomas Haweis)
- (Posted 2020-11-21) CPDL #61600:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 45 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-11-21) CPDL #61599:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 77 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
External websites: https://embassysingers.de/scores/hymns.html
Original text and translations
City of God, how broad and far
outspread thy walls sublime!
the true thy chartered freemen are
of every age and clime:
one holy church, one army strong,
one steadfast, high intent;
one working band, one harvest-song,
one King omnipotent.
How purely hath thy speech come down
from man’s primeval youth!
how grandly hath thine empire grown
of freedom, love, and truth!
How gleam thy watch-fires through the night
with never-fainting ray!
how rise thy towers, serene and bright,
to meet the dawning day!
In vain the surge’s angry shock,
in vain the drifting sands:
unharmed upon the eternal Rock
the eternal city stands.