- (Posted 2016-11-24) CPDL #42031:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-24). Score information: A4, 1 page, 29 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- (Posted 2007-11-15) CPDL #15426:
- Contributor: John Henry Fowler (submitted 2007-11-15). Score information: Letter, 1 page, 19 kB Copyright: Public Domain
- Edition notes: From the Cyber Hymnal™. Note that the score lists the meter as 87. 87. D when, in fact, it is simply 87. 87.
Title: Firmly I believe and truly
Composer: Samuel Sebastian Wesley
Lyricist: John Henry Newman
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 87. 87
Original text and translations
1 Firmly I believe and truly
God is Three, and God is One;
And I next acknowledge duly
Manhood taken by the Son.
2 And I trust and hope most fully
In that manhood crucified;
And each thought and deed unruly
Do to death, as He has died.
3 Simply to His grace and wholly
Light and life and strength belong,
And I love supremely, solely,
Him the holy, Him the strong.
4 And I hold in veneration,
For the love of Him alone,
Holy Church as His creation,
And her teachings are His own.
5 And I take with joy whatever
Now besets me, pain or fear,
And with a strong will I sever
All the ties which bind me here.
6 Adoration aye be given,
With and through the angelic host,
To the God of earth and Heaven,
Father, Son and Holy Ghost.