I follow, lo, the footing (Thomas Morley)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2021-09-13). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 172 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: In original key.
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2012-01-05). Score information: A4, 7 pages, 169 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed up a semitone. Revised files uploaded 13/09/21.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-11). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 121 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: PDF file created and uploaded to CPDL server 2008-10-09. NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
Title: I follow, lo, the footing
Composer: Thomas Morley
First published: 1597 in Canzonets or Litle Short Aers to Five and Six Voices, no. 17
Original text and translations
I follow, lo! the footing still of my lovely cruel:
Proud of herself, that she is beauty's jewel:
And fast away she flieth, love's sweet delight deriding,
In woods and groves sweet, sweet nature's treasure hiding.
Yet cease I not pursuing; but since I thus have sought her,
Will run me out of breath, till I have caught her.