I thank you, O Holy Lord (Nicholas Azza)
- Editor: Nicholas Azza (submitted 2021-09-29). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 397 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
First published: 2020
Description: This score puts into music the beautiful post-communion thanksgiving prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas. It is intended for use in Mass.
Original text and translations
I THANK YOU O HOLY LORD
1. I thank you, O Holy Lord, Almighty Father, Eternal God.
You have deigned not through any merits of mine but out of your goodness
to satisfy me a sinner, your unworthy lowly servant,
with the precious body and blood of your son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. I pray that this Holy Communion be not a condemnation to me,
But be a saving plea for forgiveness, my prayer to you, my Lord.
May it be to me the armour of faith, be the shinning shield of goodwill.
May it be the emptying of all vices, and purging of lustful desires.
3. May this sweet sacrament divine increase my patience, and charity,
increase my humility, my obedience, and all of my virtues.
A strong defence against my enemies, a perfect quieting of evil impulses.
Bind me, my Lord, firmly unto you, the one and true God.
4. I pray for happy end to my life, I pray that you will deign to
bring me a sinner, to that great ineffable banquet,
where you, your Son and the Holy Spirit are to Your saints true light, eternal joy.
Where you are most pure gladness, perfect bliss, through Christ our Lord.