Love learns by laughing (Thomas Morley)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-02-12). Score information: A4, 1 page, 40 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Reformatting of #15008, with corrections.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2007-09-11). Score information: A4, 2 pages, 18 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: NoteWorthy Composer file may be viewed and printed with NoteWorthy Composer Viewer.
- Possible error(s) identified. See the discussion page for full description.
Title: Love learns by laughing
Composer: Thomas Morley
Number of voices: 3vv Voicings: SAT or SST
Genre: Secular, Madrigal
Instruments: A cappella
First published: 1606 in Canzonets to Three Voices, no. 21
Original text and translations
Love learns by laughing first to speak,
by laughing first to speak,
Then slyly gains cares passing great.
Fa la la la la la.
But I will laugh, but I will laugh,
will laugh, but I will laugh without that care,
And bid love touch me if he dare.
Fa la la la la la la.