Publication date and place: 1599 by William Barley in London.
Composer: John Bennet
Description: Seventeen madrigals for four voices. Texts from various sources (explained in Ford 1980). Reprinted in 1845, edited edition in 1979.
- Ford, Anthony. 1980. Review of Bennet, John. Madrigals to Four Voices (1599), ed. Edmund H. Fellowes, rev. Davitt Moroney … (1979). Music and Letters 61(2):207-210.
List of Works
- 1. I wander up and clown
- 2. Weep, silly soul
- 3. So lovely is thy dear self
- 4. Let go, why do you stay me
- 5. Come shepherds, follow me
- 6. I languish to complain me
- 7. Sing out, ye Nymphs
- 8. Thyrsis, sleepest thou?
- 9. Ye restless thoughts
- 10. When as I glance
- 11. Cruel unkind
- 12. O sleep, fond fancy
- 13. Weep, O mine eyes
- 14. Since neither tunes of joy
- 15. O grief, where shall poor grief
- 16. O sweet grief, O sweet sigles
- 17. Rest, now Amphion
Works at CPDL