May Day Carol (Deems Taylor)
- Editor: Douglas Walczak (submitted 2022-09-19). Score information: Letter, 7 pages, 102 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: This is a 2-part version.
- Editor: Douglas Walczak (submitted 2022-04-30). Score information: Letter, 7 pages, 107 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes:
First published: 1920
Original text and translations
1. The moon shines bright, the stars give a light
A little before 'tis day.
Our Heav'nly Father he called to us
And bid us to wake and pray.
2. Awake, awake o pretty, pretty maid,
Out of your drowsy dream,
And step into your dairy below,
And fetch me a bowl of cream.
3. If not a bowl of your sweet cream,
A cup to give you cheer;
For the Lord knows where we shall meet again
To be maying another year.
4. I been a rambling all this night
And some time of this day,
And now returning back again,
I brought you a branch of May.
5. A branch of May I brought you here,
And at your door I stand,
'Tis nothing but a sprout, but will budded out
By the work of our Lord's hand.
6. My song is done, and I must be gone,
No longer can I stay.
So it's God bless you all, both great and small,
And send you a joyful May.