Missa Or sus à coup (Johannes Lockenburg)
- Editor: Simon Biazeck (submitted 2021-06-09). Score information: A4, 32 pages, 476 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a tone.
- Editor: Simon Biazeck (submitted 2021-06-09). Score information: A4, 32 pages, 464 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Original pitch. The New Lassus Edition (1971) attributes this mass to Lassus and 'possibly' by Lockenburg. However, the primary MS source held at the Bavarian State Library - 10 Masses - BSB Mus.ms. 2746 - cleary attributes it to Johannes Lockenburg. The conflicting atrtibution is, perhaps, unsurprising, since Lockenburg, a lesser luminary in Lassus's circle, has fallen into obscurity. In the present editor's opinion, the counterpoint is not Lassus's. The melodies do not always proceed as one would expect, and the treatment of cadential formulae (particularly false relations looking back to the style of the chanson) bears little or no relation to the master's.
See notes for details and correct composer below.
First published: 1555-1575 (D-Mbs 2746) (Choirbook, MS) RISM
2nd published: 1607 Paris; Pierre Ballard
Description: Parody mass on the chanson, Or sus à coup by Thomas Crecquillon. In the new Orlando di Lasso edition (SWnR Band 11 No. 58, 1971) Ballard's 1607 attribution is questioned and Lockenburg listed as the composer instead.
- Missa super Or sus à coup, LV 1145 (Lassus, Orlande de) at the Petrucci Music Library (IMSLP)
- Ms. titlepage
Original text and translations
For information, refer to the Mass page. For texts and translations, see the individual pages: