Negliya que quele (Sebastián Durón)
- Editor: Jonathan Goodliffe (submitted 2011-02-19). Score information: A4, 10 pages, 75 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transposed down a perfect fifth for SATB voices.
- Editor: Jonathan Goodliffe (submitted 2010-11-30). Score information: A4, 10 pages, 75 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: from the Música Colonial Archive. Minor corrections uploaded 2010-12-01.
Title: Negliya que quele
Composer: Sebastián Durón
Description: A Christmas villancico composed for black Mexican slaves. The source indicates "solo" against the tenor part. It is possible that this was not intended to apply to the tutti passages. An alternative version is available for SATB voices.
- Microfilmed source from Música Colonial (requires "Dejavu" software, free download available here)
- A translation of most of the lyrics and a commentary will be found here.
- A performance of the work on Youtube will be found here
- See also a thesis by Natalie Vodovozova on the "villancico de negros"
Original text and translations
| Mexican Creole text
[Last 6 lines not translated. Meaning of “Manaplima” not understood]