O God of truth, whose living word (Henry Thomas Smart)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-10-09). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: From the Church Hymnary, 1929. Birth year of lyricist given as 1823, rather than 1822.
Original text and translations
1. O God of truth, whose living word Upholds whate'er hath breath,
Look down on Thy creation, Lord, Enslaved by sin and death.
Set up Thy standard, Lord, that we, Who claim a heavenly birth,
May march with Thee to smite the lies That vex Thy groaning earth.
2. Fain would we join that blest array, And follow in the might
Of Him, the Faithful and the True, In raiment clean and white.
Yet who can fight for truth and God, Enthralled by lies and sin?
He who would wage such war on earth Must first be true within.
3. O God of truth, for whom we long, O Thou that hearest prayer,
Do Thine own battle in our hearts, And slay the falsehood there.
So, tried in Thy refining fire, From every lie set free,
In us Thy perfect truth shall dwell, And we may fight for Thee.