O that the learned poets (Orlando Gibbons)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2017-10-28). Score information: A4, 6 pages, 76 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: A capella version of #20820.
- Editor: Brian Russell (submitted 2014-05-07). Score information: Letter, 6 pages, 90 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2010-01-13). Score information: A4, 8 pages, 96 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Includes a keyboard reduction of the a cappella choral score. Revised files uploaded 28/10/17.
- Editor: Vince M. Brennan (submitted 2005-11-26). Score information: Letter, 4 pages, 75 kB Copyright: Personal
- Edition notes: Copyright (c) 2004 by V. M. Brennan.
Title: O, that the learned poets
Composer: Orlando Gibbons
Original text and translations
O, that the learned poets of this time
who in a lovesick line so well can speak,
would not consume good wit in hateful rhyme,
but with deep care some better subject find.
For if their music please in earthly things,
how would it sound if strung with heav'nly strings?