Only-begotten, Word of God eternal (Gregorian chant)
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2022-07-11). Score information: A4, 1 page, 39 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in The Hymnal 1982, melody with words underlaid.
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2022-07-11). Score information: A4, 1 page, 128 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in The Hymnal 1982, melody with words.
Title: Only-begotten, Word of God eternal
Composer: Anonymous (Gregorian chant)
Tune: Caelitum Joseph
- Translation by Maxwell Julius Blacker
Original text and translations
Only-begotten, Word of God eternal,
Lord of creation, merciful and mighty,
hear now thy servants when their joyful voices
rise to thy presence.
This is thy temple; here thy presence-chamber;
here may thy servants, at the mystic banquet,
humbly adoring, take thy Body broken,
drink of thy chalice.
Here in our sickness healing grace aboundeth,
light in our blindness, in our toil refreshment:
sin is forgiven, hope o’er fear prevaileth,
joy over sorrow.
Hallowed this dwelling where the Lord abideth,
this is none other than the gate of heaven;
strangers and pilgrims, seeking homes eternal,
pass through its portals.
Lord, we beseech thee, as we throng thy temple,
by thy past blessings, by thy present bounty,
favor thy children, and with tender mercy
hear our petitions.
God in three Persons, Father everlasting,
Son co-eternal, ever-blessèd Spirit,
thine be the glory, praise, and adoration,
now and for ever.