Spes mea, Christe Deus, SWV 69 (Heinrich Schütz)
- (Posted 2021-07-11) CPDL #65039:
- Editor: Gerd Eichler (submitted 2021-07-11). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 117 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Transcribed from original print, Mensurstrich layout, original key signature and note values, clefs modernized, musica ficta clearly marked.
The original composition switches between triple meter (sesquialtera) and common time at different points. The simplified version avoids this and is easier to read. It corresponds to the solution provided in James Gibb's edition (#34977)
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2015-04-05). Score information: A4, 3 pages, 67 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: Clefs modernised. Transposed up a tone. Note values halved from bar 31. Source is in IMSLP.
First published: 1625 in Cantiones sacrae, Op. 4, no. 17
2nd published: 1887 in Heinrich Schütz: Sämtliche Werke, Volume 4, no. 17
3rd published: 2004 in Neue Schütz-Ausgabe, Volume 8, no. 17
Description: The triple measures are originally notated 3 semibreves with circle slash; the cantus switches back to C at m. 35, confirming that m. 30's half measure is equal to the following triplet.
Original text and translations
Spes mea, Christe Deus,
O Christ, my God, my hope,