- (Posted 2020-11-16) CPDL #61476:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-16). Score information: A4, 1 page, 44 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-11-16) CPDL #61475:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-16). Score information: A4, 1 page, 73 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, melody with words.
- (Posted 2016-11-06) CPDL #41720:
- Editor: James Gibb (submitted 2016-11-06). Score information: A4, 1 page, 20 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes:
Title: St Magnus
Composer: Jeremiah Clarke
Lyricist: Thomas Kelly
Number of voices: 4vv Voicing: SATB
Genre: Sacred, Hymn Meter: 86. 86 (C.M.)
2nd published: 1983 in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard, no. 141
Description: A descant to the hymn can be found here.
Original text and translations
1. The head that once was crowned with thorns
is crowned with glory now:
a royal diadem adorns
the mighty Victor's brow.
2. The highest place that heaven affords
is his, is his by right,
the King of kings, and Lord of lords,
and heaven's eternal light;
3. the joy of all who dwell above,
the joy of all below,
to whom he manifests his love,
and grants his name to know.
4. To them, the Cross, with all its shame,
with all its grace, is given:
their name an everlasting name,
their joy the joy of heaven.
5. The suffer with their Lord below,
they reign with him above;
their profit and their joy to know
the mystery of his love.
6. The Cross he bore is life and health,
though shame and death to him;
his people's hope, his people's wealth,
their everlasting theme.