The heavens declare thy glory, Lord (Jeremiah Clarke)
- (Posted 2020-11-21) CPDL #61588:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 38 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn with four-part harmony and underlaid words to the tune Brockham in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard
- (Posted 2020-11-21) CPDL #61587:
- Editor: Andrew Sims (submitted 2020-11-21). Score information: A4, 1 page, 75 kB Copyright: CPDL
- Edition notes: The hymn in the version published in Hymns Ancient & Modern New Standard, to the tune Brockham, melody with words.
External websites: https://embassysingers.de/scores/hymns.html
Original text and translations
The heavens declare thy glory, Lord;
in every star thy wisdom shines;
but when our eyes behold thy word,
we read thy name in fairer lines.
Sun, moon, and stars convey thy praise
round the whole earth, and never stand;
so, when thy truth began its race,
it touched and glanced on every land.
Nor shall thy spreading Gospel rest
till through the world thy truth has run;
till Christ has all the nations blest
that see the light or feel the sun.
Great Sun of Righteousness, arise;
bless the dark world with heavenly light;
thy Gospel makes the simple wise,
thy laws are pure, thy judgements right.
Thy noblest wonders here we view,
in souls renewed and sins forgiven:
Lord, cleanse my sins, my soul renew,
and make thy word my guide to heaven.
Original text and translations may be found at Psalm 19.